• The School opens in 1936 led by resident Marjorie Hampton and brothers.
  • By 1939, “Miss Hampton’s” is a well-established school, educating local children up to the age of 10, including some boarders.
  • In 1976, Miss Hampton decides to close the school. Six parent families come to the rescue in a parent buy-out.
  • In 1977, Mrs Gibbs, who joined the school three years previously, becomes Headmistress.
  • In 1990, following Mrs Gibbs’ sudden death, then teacher Mrs Joan Anderson agrees to take over as Headmistress.
  • In 2002, the Corporation of King’s College School, Wimbledon acquire The Rowans School.
  • In 2005, when Mrs Anderson becomes seriously ill, then teacher Mrs Elaine Tyrrell takes over as Headmistress.
  • In January 2011, following Mrs Tyrrell’s retirement, Mrs Suzie Wingrove is appointed Head by the Governors of King’s College School.
  • In September 2016, Mrs Joanna Hubbard joins the School as Head, having previously been Head of Upper School at a Pre-Prep School in Hampton.
  • In September 2017, The Rowans School becomes part of the Shrewsbury House School Trust family.
  • In February 2021, Miss Elizabeth Spratt joins the school as Head, having previously been Deputy Head at The Rowans.
Back to top